India has been always the land where art and academics have co-existed together, hand-in-hand. From the ancient period, the infusion of both the arenas has created magnificently terrific results. And the most realistic proof of this divine infusion is the industry of fashion designing.
When the entire world is basking in the new trends of fashion, India is like a rising superstar. The youth of the country indulges them in giving the fashion world a new turn with their unique designs. The most important aspect of Indian fashion is the crude and delicate designs that highlight the ethnicity and the aesthetic value of the country.
Fashion designing is the technique by which clothes and accessories are styled together, creating a blending effect of modernistic culture with creativity. The fashion industry is a flourishing arena all over the world. With the ideas of the new generations, this industry is growing its branches like a widespread canopy.
Fashion styles are also a statement of a city, culture, even a country. In this sector, the culture is often expressed in form of designs or imageries on the fabrics and coupled with the rich, historic accessories. Even the clothes express the language and the culture of the area it represents. For example, wearing a hat is in fashion since the time of British rulers and that is a tradition in Britain.
The designers put forth their ideas and create a plan which is the blueprint of the actual dress. Not only this, their job also extends to the part where they fuse different colors and patterns together on the fabric design. A fashion designer should be creative and a good seer at the same time.
He should know how to visualize the design created by them and whether their colors and fabric designs are creating a fashion statement or not. They also need to keep in mind the choice of people and the turnovers in the industries with each generation.
AREAS OF THE FASHION
The fashion designers create three types of fashion essence. All over the world, these three fashion styles are the most popular ones and are designed for different purposes.
- HAUTE COUTURE FASHION
Haute couture fashion works are done by designers when some individual client asks them to develop exquisite dress with minute details and high-class finishing. These dresses are not something one can wear on the regular basis. Rather they are mainly for purposes like fashion events, ramp walks, red carpets and even the prestigious award ceremonies.
A dress designed based on the haute couture fashion has costly fabric that screams money and class. The designs chosen are exquisitely rich in appearance and are done to make the dress a stand out piece. Due to all this minute detailing and the quality based finishing of the dress piece, haute couture fashion is time-consuming.
- MASS MARKET FASHION
As the name suggests, this fashion is for the mass population. The designs are developed by modifying the famous fashion samples produced by famous designers. The modified designs are then conglomerated with cheaper fabrics that will provide both comfort and a fashion essence amidst the crowd.
Mass market fashion designers usually take into co0nsideration the change in the taste of the market and incorporate their styles accordingly. They also produce samples based on seasons, highlighting the colors and the idea of the concerned seasons. This type of fashion designing is less time-consuming and is a profitable arena since the manufacturer doesn’t have to create a detailed finished structure.
- READY-TO-WEAR FASHION
This is the blending work of the mass market fashion and the haute couture fashion. In this type of designing, the designers produce high-class dresses but in a small quantity which can be worn by a certain number of people. As the dresses are not meant for an individual client, finer detailing like in haute couture is not required. The main focus is maintained on the choice of fabric, cut of the fabric and the manufacturing time.
Details are established in the cut of the dress materials and not on the embroidery or other artistic explanations. However, these dresses are expensive since the fabric chosen is rather costly. These type of designer dresses are used to display a particular season fashion as in summer season or spring.
The period of the delineation is known as the fashion week. Fashion weeks are quite popular in many countries as they bring forth the seasonal trends in items of clothing.
Jump To Section
- 1 FASHION DESIGNING IN INDIA
- 2 SKILLS REQUIRED BY A FASHION DESIGNER
- 3 SCOPE OF FASHION DESIGNING IN INDIA
- 4 WHAT ARE THE CAREER PROSPECTS FOR A FASHION DESIGNER?
- 5 TOP FASHION DESIGNING COLLEGES IN INDIA
- 5.1 NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF FASHION TECHNOLOGY, DELHI
- 5.2 PEARL ACADEMY, DELHI-NCR, WEST CAMPUS
- 5.3 NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF FASHION TECHNOLOGY, KOLKATA
- 5.4 VOGUE INSTITUTE OF FASHION TECHNOLOGY, BANGALORE
- 5.5 AMITY SCHOOL OF FASHION TECHNOLOGY, NOIDA
- 5.6 SYMBIOSIS INSTITUTE OF DESIGN, PUNE
- 5.7 MIT INSTITUTE OF DESIGN, PUNE
- 5.8 INTERNATIONAL INSTITUTE OF FASHION DESIGN, CHANDIGARH
- 5.9 INDIAN INSTITUTE OF FASHION TECHNOLOGY, BANGALORE
- 5.10 BD SOMANI INSTITUTE OF ART AND FASHION TECHNOLOGY, MUMBAI
FASHION DESIGNING IN INDIA
India has witnessed a drastic change in the fashion industry over the last two decades. From the old and traditional clothes to the new and trending modern dresses, the gradual change in the styles has mesmerized audiences from all over the world.
moreover, no matter how modern Indian fashion industry would become, there will always be an essence of the Indian culture and ethnicity in the dresses and the styles. This is what makes the country’s fashion unique and stand-out.
Since this industry is a growing sector; many institutions across the country were set up to teach and train the creative minds of the youth and to make them able for stepping into the fashion world. The fashion designing colleges in India examines the skills and qualities of each aspiring students and teach them to establish their ideas through pen or paper or through the computer designing.
- Top 20 Courses After 12th Commerce
- Top 15 Courses After 12th Science
- Top 15 courses after 12th Humanities
SKILLS REQUIRED BY A FASHION DESIGNER
A fashion designer should have the following skill for establishing his grounds in the glam world of fashion.
- Creativity: without a creative mind, it is next to impossible for developing new designs and ideas. fashion designing might sound easy but the glitch lies in the fact that a fashion designer must develop designs which are original and does not represent someone else’s fashion statement. Even in mass market fashion style, the modified forms do have an actuality in them that makes them different from the actual fashion dress.
- Knowledge about the word ‘FASHION’: it is very much essential for a designer to know what aspects the word ‘fashion’ is used. Not only the person should be aware of the changing trends of the clothes, but also about the choice of fabric for establishing a particular type of design or embroidery work.
- Selection of colors and designs: color is what brings out the uniqueness of the cloth and fabric cut is what impart originality to the dress. To be successful in this industry, one should know when and how to use his knowledge about the colors and the designs.
SCOPE OF FASHION DESIGNING IN INDIA
Fashion designing courses in India is having a huge and broad spectrum in terms of future scopes. Not only a good job and high salary will be guaranteed by this course, but also a high social status and success can be earned. Success is not something that can be easily earned overnight in any other field. But the same cannot be said in the fashion industry.
Once some high status and famous individual choose a designer’s cloth, he or she will certainly take the first step to success overnight. The fashion industry is an all-time round working sector where no one sits idle. And in a country like India where there is more than one culture, fashion designing is certainly a good option for establishing a career.
Read Also:- LLB Course Detail- The Complete Guide
WHAT ARE THE CAREER PROSPECTS FOR A FASHION DESIGNER?
As a fashion designer who has just completed the course, one can opt for many options. As said, the fashion industry in India is not limited to only sketching an idea. Rather, a fashion graduate has an ample number of options that he can choose from as his future career.
- A person can work in the sector of planning and concept management. In this, he will be responsible for the management of a company or brand of the clothes or fashion items. Starting with supervising the planning of the design to the manufacturing, the person will be the one who will be answerable for everything.
- A person can also opt for a job as fashion marketer or design-wear producer. Here, he will be concerned in developing clothes related to a single spectrum of the fashion industry. The person will rule a sector of the fashion market and will be asked to produce designer-wears in that sector only.
- Fashion consultancy is a sector where the individual will act as a fashion consultant for those clients who are confused about the fashion style that will suit them.
- A personal fashion stylist is one of the flourishing areas of the fashion industry since India is a place where film industries are in the ruling picture. Different artists from across the country look for personal stylist and hence this job has got high scopes and salary too.
- Someone who has a good knowledge of the fabrics and the colors can go for the post of fabric quality control manager. In this sector, the person is responsible for choosing the fabrics and also the colors that will go with the chosen fabric for a particular design.
TOP FASHION DESIGNING COLLEGES IN INDIA
Some of the topmost fashion-designing colleges in the country are:
NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF FASHION TECHNOLOGY, DELHI
Situated in the capital of India, NIFT is one of the famous colleges in India. The institute offers courses in fashion designing and technology under experienced and professional faculty team. Also, NIFT in Delhi has a number of interactive clubs that allow students to bring forth their talents. It offers a good quality job prospectus to more than seventy percent of students.
Address: Hauz Khas Road, Near Gulmohar Park, New Delhi, Delhi 110016
Phone: 011 2654 2000
PEARL ACADEMY, DELHI-NCR, WEST CAMPUS
Pearl Academy in the NCR town of Delhi offers courses in the field of fashion, UG, PG, masters, certified courses and weekend courses. This varied number of opportunities makes Pearl Academy an ideal place to learn fashion designing and other related aspects of the field.
Address: A-21/13, Naraina Industrial Area, Phase II, Block A, Near Shadipur Metro Station, New Delhi, Delhi 110028
NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF FASHION TECHNOLOGY, KOLKATA
NIFT in Kolkata is a dream institute for many 10+2 students. After passing the boards with excellent marks, they appear for the entrance exam and choose fashion-designing courses as their future. The institute organizes social events for the students to delineate their mastery skills.
Address: Plot-3B, Block-LA, Near 16 No. Water Tank, Sector III, Salt Lake City,, Kolkata, West Bengal 700098
Phone: 033 2335 8872
VOGUE INSTITUTE OF FASHION TECHNOLOGY, BANGALORE
Vogue Institute offers courses in many fashion related courses that includes interior designing and digital fashion art too. They also provide training in managerial courses along with architecture and fashion management.
Address: No. 4, Anand Towers, 3rd Floor, Opp. To PF Building, Rajaram Mohan Roy Road, Richmond Circle, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560025
Phone: 080 4147 8547
Also Read:- Top 10 Fashion Designing College in Delhi
AMITY SCHOOL OF FASHION TECHNOLOGY, NOIDA
Amity is one of the globally recognized institutes allows students to acquaint themselves with the global picture of the fashion world. they offer courses not only in fashion designing filed but also in fashion and market management, textile and apparel management and many another varied field.
I – 1 Block, 5th Floor,
Amity University Campus,
Sector – 125
Noida – 201 313,
Gautam Budh Nagar, U.P. (India)
Fax No.: 0120-4392989
SYMBIOSIS INSTITUTE OF DESIGN, PUNE
Symbiosis Institute of design functions under the jurisdiction of Faculty of Media, and Design of the SIU or Symbiosis International University. They offer both undergraduate and post-graduate courses related to the fashion world.
Symbiosis Institute of Design (SID)
S No. 231/4A, Viman Nagar, Pune 411 014, MS. INDIA
+91 20 2663 4546 / 47 / 48 (EPABX)
+91 20 6561 3769 / 70 (Admissions)
+91 20 2663 4549
MIT INSTITUTE OF DESIGN, PUNE
MIT Institute of Design in Pune offers both undergraduate and post-graduate courses along with collaborative programs. The collaboration is done with international fashion institutes.
Address: Rajbaug, Loni Kalbhor, Pune, Maharashtra 412201
Phone: 020 3069 3600
INTERNATIONAL INSTITUTE OF FASHION DESIGN, CHANDIGARH
International Institute of fashion design in Chandigarh offers four academic courses in the fashion stream with two specializations. They even conduct social events like fashion shows and exhibitions, cultural events to display the skills of the students.
SCO -479-80, 2nd Floor, Sector: 35-C Chandigarh, India
Phone:-9041766699, 0172 4007918
INDIAN INSTITUTE OF FASHION TECHNOLOGY, BANGALORE
Indian Institute of fashion technology offers courses in fashion designing sector that are job oriented and will introduce the students to the fashion world. The institute has a team of experienced faculty members along with an active placement cell. Therefore, the on-campus job is guaranteed in IIFD.
Address: 3, 1/6, 1st Cross Road, MC Road, Near Telephone Exchange, Vijayanagar, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560079
Phone: 080 2310 7668
BD SOMANI INSTITUTE OF ART AND FASHION TECHNOLOGY, MUMBAI
BD Somani Institute of Art and Fashion Technology is a prestigious fashion institute in the fashion city of India, Mumbai. They offer courses in different fashion courses. The courses are both undergraduate and post-graduate. Even they offer specialized short-term courses in fashion designing and technology.
Address: 8, G D Somani Rd, Ganesh Murti Nagar, Cuffe Parade, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400005
Phone: 022 2215 5731